Post is of crucial importance to any individual and company, state and society.
Our mission is to provide high-quality postal services throughout Latvia. Our mailmen reach even the most distant farmsteads and we can deliver postal items to any address in the world. We are always available to everyone everywhere.
In addition to traditional postal services, we are developing new, innovative offers in order to become the best assistant to our customers in their everyday lives. Our services allow you to deal with all kinds of formalities in an easy and convenient way.
We follow our mission with a sense of responsibility towards our customers, society, state, the environment and our employees.
Simplicity – we approach the customer with simplicity, clarity, and a human touch.
Transparency – we take responsibility for our tasks, seeking the most elegant and effective solution to every challenge.
Commitment – we are eager to discover and satisfy a customer’s needs and foster a mutually beneficial partnership.
Latvijas Pasts is a modern company based on business fundamentals and it effectively competes in the postal services market with a solid reputation, high standards of customer service and motivated employees.
Together with our partners, we are constantly developing, diversifying and expanding our services throughout Latvia.
Our services are available, convenient and affordable to customers.
In 13th century, Riga was a part of the postal area of the Livonian Order and the Hanseatic League. These organizations used mail only for their own needs.
In 1580, the Hanseatic League issued the first known rules on work and wages of messengers – the Botenordnung, in force also in the territory of present-day Latvia.
In the 16th century, there was a variety of postal organizations – at courts, monasteries, universities, in cities and merchant associations.
From 1581 to 1621, when Riga was subject to the kingdom of Poland, and by 1710, when it was a part of Vidzeme province of the Kingdom of Sweden, postal traffic was used only by officials for the needs of the kingdom and city administration.
1632 is considered as the year of the foundation of post in the territory of present-day Latvia. Jacob Becker, postmaster of Vidzeme un Prussia appointed by the King of Sweden, organized regular public mail services in Riga, used by merchants and other residents.
Initially, post was the postmaster's private company that covered its own expenses and gained profit from payments for postal items. The post also received annual grants from the City Council of Riga and the Governor of Vidzeme.
In 1644, the mail traffic of Vidzeme was connected to the postal system of Stockholm in Sweden.
In 1685, the Duke of Kurzeme Friedrich Casimir founded his own post office and requested to cancel the operations of the Swedish postal authorities, but the Swedish King Karl XI did not pay attention to this requirement, claiming his rights in Kurzeme.
On 5 July 1710, the Russian troops led by Peter I occupied Riga and it was annexed to the Russian Empire.
On 24 September 1714, the Russian Senate ordered launching regular public postal services from/to Riga–Valka–Tartu–Narva–St. Petersburg. This route, with the extension Riga–Klaipeda, became the main traffic line of St. Petersburg, the capital of the Russian Empire, with other countries. Introduction of trains brought new changes to the postal traffic of Kurzeme.
In 1839, the longest Russian telegraph line, from St. Petersburg to Warsaw, was installed, which crossed the territory of Latvia.
On 1 May 1840, the UK issued the world's first postage stamp, known as the Penny Black, which depicted the portrait of Queen Victoria. Within a few days, postal stamps were introduced for general use in the UK.
In 1843, the Riga post office moved to premises on Kungu Street 33, and it became the starting point of Riga, from which the distance to any other populated area is measured.
In 1857, the first Russian postage stamps were printed, which also became the first postal stamps of postal traffic in the territory of present-day Latvia.
On 15 December 1862, the first publication for philatelists, The Monthly Advertiser, was published in Liverpool.
In 1874, an international congress took place in Bern, the capital of Switzerland, where the Universal Postal Union was founded.
In 1881, Bell's company started the installation of the first telephone lines in Riga.
In 1905, the Riga post office building designed by I. Novikovs was opened on the corner of present-day Aspazijas Boulevard and Kr. Barona Street.
On 19 December 1918, the first Latvian postage stamp was issued. On December 26, post offices established by the government of Latvia started operation. On December 27, the German occupation forces handed over the post of Riga to the Latvian government.
On 2 January 1920, the Cabinet of Ministers approved the Central Board of Post and Telegraph. Direct work of the postal traffic began.
In July 1921, the post offices of Latvia started using airmail.
On 1 October 1921, after the national recognition de jure, Latvia was admitted to the Universal Postal Union.
On 7 May 1927, the first Latvian organisation of philatelists was established.
In 1936, Latvia participated in the international philatelic exhibition in Konigsberg, Germany (now Kaliningrad, Russia) for the first time.
On 9 September 1940, the Soviet occupation forces completely took over the management of the postal sector.
At the end of 1940, direct postal traffic from Latvia to other countries was suspended.
On 1 July 1941, German troops entered Riga and, in a few days, took over the postal, telegraph and telephone authorities.
On 12 October 1944, German troops burnt down the Riga post office building while retreating. A day later, the Soviet troops entered Riga and immediately took over the communications industry.
In 1954, the name of Riga Post Office (Rīgas Pasta kantoris) was changed to the Post of Riga (Rīgas pasts), and it had 39 subordinate communication departments.
In 1955, the Latvian SSR Communications Ministry was established, which controlled the postal sector.
On 1 October 1965, the new Main post office building of Riga was opened at the Station square.
On 19 October 1991, the first series of postage stamps of the restored Republic of Latvia was issued.
On 2 January 1992, the state company Latvijas Pasts was established.
In 1992, Latvijas Pasts concluded their first agreement with the US on international cash transfers.
In May 1992, Latvijas Pasts took part in the international philatelic exhibition in Essen, Germany for the first time.
In 17 June 1992, the Universal Postal Union made a decision on the restoration of Latvia's membership in this organization.
30 June 1992 was the last day when Soviet postage stamps could be used for paying for postal services in Latvia.
In 31 May 1994, the Postal Law was announced, according to which Latvijas Pasts became a public agency.
In 1994, the Baltic Postal Union was established.
In 1994, Latvia was admitted to the European Postal Union.
In 1994, the 21st Congress of the Universal Postal Union took place in Seoul, South Korea, in which Latvia participated for the first time.
On 11 March 1997, amendments to the Postal Law were announced and Latvijas Pasts became a non-profit organization (state joint-stock company).
On 30 April 2004, Latvijas Pasts was the first organisation in Latvia to receive a general postal service licence meeting the requirements of the EU.
On 1 May 2004, amendments to the Postal Law came into effect after Latvia joined the EU that prescribed for gradual reduction of the monopoly of Latvijas Pasts by 2013.
On 15 July 2004, a time capsule with a message for future generations was solemnly immured in the foundation of the new sorting complex of Latvijas Pasts.
On 1 November 2004, Latvijas Pasts became a state joint-stock company.
In October 2006, a postal sorting complex was opened in the territory of Riga International Airport.
On 1 January 2013, the postal market was completely opened for free competition in the territory of the Republic of Latvia.
On 30 January 2013, the first postage stamps of the Republic of Latvia with double face value in lats and euros were issued.
On 2 January 2014, after Latvia had joined the euro area, Latvijas Pasts issued the first postage stamps with their face value only in euros.
From January to March 2014, citizens could exchange lats to euros for free at 302 post offices. Latvia is the second state of the euro area, in which post offices were used for currency exchange when transferring to euro.